While a child custody agreement is an important part of any divorce where children are involved, it is not the only part of determining exactly how each parent will raise and spend time with their children. When a parent is not awarded residential custody, they will have certain visitation rights and parenting time under the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act. It’s important to have a parenting time lawyer in Chicago who can help you through the process.
Years ago, children might spend the most time with the custodial parent but visit the other parent every other weekend. Things have changed, and now both parents are often expecting to play a large role in their children’s lives. Each situation is unique, but in many cases, the non-custodial parent can still expect a large amount of time for visiting their children.
Considerations in Custody
When it comes to the custody agreement, the judge determines what should occur based on the best interests of any children. There are many factors that go into this, but some of the most common include:
- Living arrangements available to the child by each parent
- Mental fitness of each parent
- The emotional bond between parent and the child
- Physical fitness of each parent
- Structure each parent, can provide the child
- The child’s wishes, depending on age and maturity level
In some situations, visiting time can be limited by order of the court. This is most often in cases where there are concerns about the welfare of the child. Here are some of the reasons this may occur.
- The non-custodial parent has a criminal past
- The non-custodial parent has issues with substance abuse
- A romantic partner is living with the non-custodial parent
- There is a history of domestic violence
Changes to the Agreement
As with other divorce decisions, the visitation and parenting time can be modified in the future in cases where there are major changes in the circumstances of a parent. This is something a parenting time lawyer in Chicago can walk you through when and if the time comes.
When you are involved in a divorce and children are involved, you need an experienced team with skill and expertise in child custody. In Chicago, one of the best is Michael C. Craven. We would be happy to provide you with a consultation to determine your needs. You can find out more by visiting www.DivorceLawyersChicago.org.