In New York, you can usually pursue a divorce successfully. That is because you have seven grounds considered legally permitted for dissolving a marriage. Therefore, it helps to know your rights in this respect.
Speak to an Attorney About Your Case
It is also helpful to schedule an appointment with a divorce attorney in Port Jefferson Station, NY. Doing so will give you the leeway you need to express any concerns and make this life-changing transition more streamlined and easy. Knowing the reasons for getting a divorce will also help you communicate with more clarity.
For example, a divorce attorney will tell you that you can obtain a divorce for any of the following reasons:
• Your marriage has broken down irretrievably. This breakdown has led to a division in the relationship for at least the last six months. In this case, this type of divorce would be classified as a no-fault divorce.
• You have suffered inhuman and cruel treatment at the hands of your spouse.
• You have been abandoned for a period of at least one year. For example, your spouse has left your home without intending to return or has refused to have sex with you. If your spouse refuses to have sex, the action is termed as constructive abandonment.
• You spouse was imprisoned for three or more consecutive years. This reason can be used as a grounds for divorce, provided that the spouse was placed in prison after the marriage started. This can be used as a grounds for divorce while the spouse is still in prison or as long as five years after they are released.
• Your spouse committed adultery.
• You and your spouse separated or lived apart for at least a year.
• A judgment of separation is issued by the court.
Learn More Online
Once you know all the grounds, you can draw up the dissolution agreement and proceed based on the advice of an experience divorce attorney. Find out more today online about your rights in this respect.
Who to Contact
If you would like to learn more about the divorce process and how you can proceed, check out for all the details. The sooner you begin, the easier it will be for you to get on with your life.