Important Information on Child Support in Mankato, MN?

According to Minnesota law, a child has the legal right to be financially supported by both of their parents. Unfortunately, not all parents of children are together as a couple, so child support must sometimes be ordered for the non-custodial parent to pay. Although the law is clear on the financial responsibility of non-custodial parents, not every parent heeds the law and supports their child. When a child is not receiving their child support in Mankato, MN, the court sometimes needs to get involved to make sure the child receives the financial support they deserve.

When a parent is required to pay child support, there are three areas they will pay for:

  • Basic support includes payments for the child’s everyday needs, including housing, food, clothing, and other expenses.
  • Medical support provides health and dental insurance, along with the cost of medications and other related expenses.
  • If both parents work, the non-custodial parent will be responsible for paying their half of the child care costs.

The method the court uses for calculating the support amount is by taking both of the parent’s gross income information and combining them in a total income amount. It is also determined by the amount of visitation and custody each parent has. The court will determine the amount the non-custodial parent will be charged for each week or month, depending on how often they are paid. This amount is typically withdrawn directly from the parent’s earnings before their check is given.

Should a parent refuse to pay or try to avoid paying by not reporting their residence or job, they can face stiff penalties, including liens placed on their property, the loss of their driving privileges, and even jail time. Those who are not receiving the payments the court has ordered can hire a lawyer to help them with child support in Mankato, MN.

If you are having trouble collecting the child support you are owed, visit, where you will find all the information you need so you can make an informed decision on hiring a lawyer to help you with your pursuit of the other parent of your child. Call them today and they will be happy to schedule an appointment for you.

Tweet us on Twitter!